AFC Bournemouth travelled to Middlesbrough following the opening day victory over Blackburn Rovers. Jason Tindall made a couple of changes putting Asmir Begovic in goal ahead of Mark Travers, whilst Junior Stanislas was injured which saw David Brooks move to a wider position with Dan Gosling and Jefferson Lerma tasked with controlling the midfield.
Danjuma and Dominic Solanke linked up to score the opener, with the home side scoring a late equaliser.
AFC Bournemouth manager Jason Tindall told the Daily Echo…
“Looking back at the game I felt we had the better chances but I’m disappointed with the goal that we conceded because it was something that we’d spoken about and worked on in training to make sure we were organised quickly from throw-ins because that’s what they play for.
“The one time I felt we switched off in the game, we ended up getting punished.”
“There’s not too many teams that play this way in the Championship from what I’ve seen so far. They (Middlesbrough) play a unique way, man-to-man marking, they’re a very, very direct side.
“But I felt we dealt with everything they had to throw at us pretty well. It was a very stop-start game.
Man of the Match against Middlesbrough
Difficult game today. Dust down and bounce back next week ! 🔜🔙🔛🔝 pic.twitter.com/9Opwa6y6Oe
— Arnaut Danjuma (@ArnautDanjuma) September 19, 2020
Tindall confirmed Stanislas missed out today due to a "little injury" but is confident it won't keep him out for long. #afcb
— Tom Crocker (@TomCrockerEcho) September 19, 2020
Written by NWCherries98
Huge step down from Crystal Palace and even Blackburn that. Really ugly watch. Not one of our centre midfielders has looked even close to competent in the league so far.
– Begovic had a good first half but then it all went tits up.
– Stacey ok but stupid booking, not as attacking.
– Centre backs were all meh, Kelly disappointing.
– Smith below par, not a Left Wing Back. Asleep for the goal.
– Lerma has been shite since lockdown.
– Gosling equally as bad, disappointing.
– Danjuma and Brooks quiet.
– Solanke seems to only score goals when there’s not a chance- unforgivable miss.
– Seriously questioning the effectiveness of 3 at the back. Keep playing it out to the two incompetent midfielders or lumping it out of play. 59% pass accuracy: shocking.
– Very strange subs, Billing is not someone that comes on and plays well generally, he’s far too lax. Taking off Danjuma, who can score out of nothing, strange. Swapped to 4 at the back far too late. Eh.
– There’s always been a difference between “playing the channels” and “lumping it”. We were mainly doing the latter. Very disappointing quality of football considering the *cough* supposed quality of the squad.
– We looked infinitely better vs Palace with a mixture of youths and a more solid midfield. I was impressed with Tindall after that game but this was such a disappointing watch.
– Rico or Zemura has to come in for Smith, Travers should probably come in for Begovic imo. Billing should start games or not play at all, poor attitude off the bench.
– Crying our for more strikers and wingers.
wimborne cherries wrote…
This 3 at the back does not work for me.
Leaves us constantly outnumbered in midfield, and when the midfield does get it, there’s no composure or control what so ever. Brooks also looks better in the middle rather than the wing.
Need a player like I dunno, Surman, to just calm things down at times.
Billing is going to be a waste of space this season.
The squad is looking worryingly thin. We’re 1 constantly 1 injury away from square pegs in round holes again. We have 2 fit wingers, and 2 fit strikers currently.
Least we got a point and I thought that Saville for Boro was excellent. – Join the conversation, click here.