AFC Bournemouth have completed some very important business very early this summer.
The Premier League season may have ended less than a week ago and all the players may have already jetted off to various destinations around the world, but two key bits of business have been completed already.
The first happened earlier this week with former Poland international goalkeeper Artur Boruc signing a new one year contract at Dean Court. The 38-year-old, along with Ryan Allsop, who has spent this season out on loan with Lincoln City were the only players in the first team fold that are out of contract this summer.
With Boruc being a firm second choice this season behind the £10million signing of Asmir Begovic last summer, it was thought by many that Boruc could well depart at the end of his current contract. But Boruc has extended his stay on the south coast for another 12 months.
Boruc told afcb.co.uk…
“I’m very pleased and happy that I can stay here and fight for the number one place for another season,
“This has been a very different season for me, not playing as much as I have in previous years.
“The new situation took some adjusting to in the first couple of months but I am pleased with how I have reacted to it.
“It is never easy to watch the team playing when you are not involved and unable to do anything to help but that is the situation I am in and I am fighting every day for the number one spot.
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) May 17, 2018
The second bit of business was potentially, the most important bit of business AFC Bournemouth needed to complete this summer. Keeping hold of Lewis Cook.
Cook has enjoyed a breakthrough season at AFC Bournemouth this campaign.
He made 29 Premier League appearances in 2017/18, 25 as a starter, featuring for 2,239 minutes.
In comparison, he featured for just 431 minutes in the league for the Cherries during the 2016/17 season.
His form also saw him break through into the England set-up and is currently one of five players who are on alert for Gareth Southgate’s World Cup squad, should any of the initial 23 man squad pull out.
According to reports in the national media, it hasn’t just been England manager Gareth Southgate that has been impressed. Liverpool have also been tracking his progress, according to The Sun, with the tabloid reporting…
“Anfield scouts were following him before he moved to Bournemouth and have been impressed with his progress on the South Coast.”
But now, Cook has extended his contract from the summer of 2020, which was the deal he signed when he initially moved from Leeds United for a reported fee of £7million, to 2022.
Cook told afcb.co.uk…
“This new contract is a really proud moment for me and the icing on the cake for the year we’ve had and all the hard work that’s gone on behind the scenes at the club,”
“It came as a nice surprise. I was just concentrating on my football and playing games, but when it was spoken about I couldn’t wait to get it signed.
“I’m really enjoying my football here and I’m looking forward to the future with AFC Bournemouth.”
— AFC Bournemouth ???? (@afcbournemouth) May 18, 2018
1. The pitch in the background is maybe a week old. It’s all re-marked at the minute. So this (and other?) deal was done before today. Perhaps the Boruc one too? Meaning more might have been done and we are “managing” the media?
2. My favourite time of year is “Photos of Neil Blake not quite smiling in black knitted shirts”. I hope he gets a bulk discount! – Join the conversation, click here.