Date: 31st January 2020 at 10:44am
Written by:

AFC Bournemouth have rejected a bid from Manchester United for forward Joshua King, but it is not clear whether or not a second bid will be forthcoming.

The Daily Telegraph appears to have broken the news of the approach, with the rest of the British media quickly following on.

The transfer window closes at 11 pm this (Friday) evening and will remain closed until the end of the 2019/20 Premier League campaign.

Manchester United have been looking for a striker to add to their ranks throughout January, with an injury to Marcus Rashford meaning their search broadened further.

It had been thought that most of the transfer window rumour mill regarding AFC Bournemouth would surround Netherlands international defender Nathan Ake and a potential move back to his former club Chelsea, but deadline day appears to have shifted focus to a potential return to Old Trafford for Joshua King.

That rumour was confirmed at AFC Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe’s pre-match press conference ahead of a crucial relegation six-pointer with Aston Villa.

Almost uncharacteristically for Eddie Howe, the Cherries manager refused to deny the possibility of a transfer deadline day move to Manchester United, especially given the Norwegian international’s links with his former club and manager Ole Gunnar Solkjaer.

Reading in between the lines you would be forgiven in taking a stance that King is keen to swap a relegation battle on the south coast for a return to Manchester United.

But the timings of such a move make it all but impossible for the Cherries to recruit a replacement at such a pivotal time in the season, with the club currently sitting in the relegation zone.

Speaking to the media as quoted by Sky Sports, Howe said…

“Josh is much valued and loved by us and obviously another club has seen how good he is so let’s wait and see,”

“He’s a massive part of our team. He’s got unique pace and strength coupled with technical ability and an eye for goal. Speaking as the manager of the club, I’d be very reluctant to lose a player of that quality and from our point of view, the difficulty is how late it is in the window to find a replacement.

“It’s a difficult question for me to answer because a lot of these things are out of my control. It’s not my call. It’s for the chief executive and the owner. All I can say is that I love Josh as a player and a person. I understand his position. I know what Manchester United means to him so let’s wait and see.”

So whilst it is clear that AFC Bournemouth do not want to sell King, who is AFC Bournemouth’s leading goalscorer during their era in the top flight of English football, Howe has stated that it’s a decision that is very much in the hands of Manchester United, Joshua King and AFC Bournemouth owner Maxim Demin and Chief Executive Neill Blake.

The next move will be from Manchester United, will they make a further approach? If they don’t then Demin and Blake will not have anything to discuss. If Manchester United do make another bid, then it’ll be a conundrum for Demin and Blake to resolve.

Your say…

kirsikka wrote…

Let’s play the scenario. Go with it even if you don’t agree with parts.

Josh goes to Eddie and says ‘This is finally my chance to get back to one of the biggest clubs in the world. I blew it last time and I may not get another opportunity. Please let me go. I’m going to be devastated if you force me to stay’.

On balance, the club decides having another unhappy player in the camp will do more damage than losing him. So we tell Josh as long as Man Utd meet our asking price he can go. How much do we hold out for and who do we try and get in to replace him?

I’d want north of £50 million. I suspect Man Utd think they can get him for £25 million.

As for a replacement. I don’t have a scooby at this point. – Join the conversation, click here.

 
Click for the forum

Your Comment