Written by Neil Dawson
MOTM against Newcastle
Click here for the AFCB v Newcastle United match report.
We learned nothing from this game we didn’t already know and once again despite a formation and personnel change, there were no significant changes to the style of play despite a week’s break.
I am bored writing the same things every verdict but for the record of each match and for the archives, here we go again.
1) We know that when we play three in the centre of midfield we are poor and when we play two we are appalling so why did we return to two for such a key game? Newcastle never control games of football.
2) Whatever the formation we have to play higher up the pitch and more compact so the players can inter-play and move forwards and backwards together. In every attacking phase, we look like we are breaking and in every defensive phase we look caught out… that’s just dreadful set up. Only one of those should ever look true of a team.
3) We chop and change the team constantly. We should know by now the players are not the issue here. If you want proof of that look what we have turned Lerma into. Our solution is always the player not playing. It’s ridiculous.
4) Our full-backs have to push up and the forwards have to get in the box. Two shots on target in three games is just incredible.
5) All confidence is now gone so maybe play the players that don’t play much and see if they are equally affected.
One glimmer of hope. We are still in there with a chance and sometimes you need a hammering to get stuff out of the system. There will be some sort of reaction from today i’m sure… hopefully from Eddie.
Watching the demise of a loved one is a tough thing as many will know from real life. Some people choose to sit by the bed until the last bleep of a monitor. Some choose to go and sit in a pub or park and remember them in their prime. I will be doing the former. I don’t blame anyone for doing the latter.
I ‘ve said it before but complaining about formation is pointless when the players have performed that badly ….no system is going to change that……for what its worth my own opinion is that we lack leadership on the pitch….the likes of Arter…Pugh…….Ritchie…. used to will us back into games….our midfield whether we play a 2 or a 3 is just so placid….a lot of that might be due to Lerma’s yellow card tightrope but surely someone can step up and put themselves about a bit. – Join the conversation, click here.