Premier League football was suspended in March with most teams having nine games remaining of the 2019/20 campaign.
Due to the Covid-19 global pandemic, all sport across Europe was suspended or cancelled between the majority of March through to May.
Current plans would see the top flight of English football return later this month, however, all games will be played behind closed doors with no supporters in attendance, a model which is already in full practice in Germany’s Bundesliga.
Ahead of the Premier League’s “Project restart”, clubs returned to training towards the end of last month, with all players and staff involved in the football clubs subjected two Coronavirus tests every few days.
During the final week of May, during the second round of testing for the coronavirus after AFC Bournemouth had returned to training for the first time since March, the Cherries revealed that one of their players had tested positive and would be going into self-isolation for a week.
At that time the player’s identity had remained secret, but via the media, it was later revealed that it was AFC Bournemouth and England Under 21’s goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale.
Ramsdale told The Sun…
“It’s definitely a shock — I’ve not been in contact with anybody and I’ve now got it.
“I’m showing no symptoms so the fact that a healthy young person could potentially have it is definitely scary and worrying.
“It’s obviously not great that I’ve got it but it’s good that I’m showing no symptoms.
“It’s one of those things that has unfortunately happened and happened to me.”
AFC Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe also revealed his thoughts on how it affected the squad via an interview with the Daily Mail.
On the 30th May, Ramsdale revealed via Twitter that he has since tested negative for the coronavirus and was returning to training.
As of this morning I was out of isolation after my Covid19 test came back negative. Can’t wait to be back out on the grass Monday 🍒⚽️ https://t.co/IiIV7VKUMx
— Aaron (@AaronRamsdale98) May 30, 2020
AFC Bournemouth goalkeeper coach Neil Moss told afcb.co.uk…
“We have been speaking to him every day to make sure he’s okay.
“He’s been very upbeat. He hadn’t had any symptoms until the day before he was diagnosed and it came as a big shock to him and everybody else.
“He had been working very hard and had had no ill-effects from the first few sessions.
“We’re delighted he received a negative test and look forward to having him back with the group when he feels ready.”
How the hell can a team prepare for matches knowing that at any moment your players could be banned from playing because of a test result? This whole thing gets more ridiculous by the day.
As we get nearer to kick-off day the teams will have to train as a whole unit to practise marking drills, set pieces, tactics against certain opposition etc. what happens if a player has taken part in those drills then fails a test – the whole team isolate ??? – Join the conversation, click here.