Written by Toronto John
Let’s maintain some perspective ………..
I am in this camp.
The positives are starting to add-up …. a couple of good wins, injuries coming back, Callum Wilson scoring, Ryan Fraser showing some drive. If we had taken that point against Sheffield United, I suspect we would be all sunshine and flowers today.
The “tough run in” narrative is quite true ….. toughest of the bottom six. But we are not alone in that. After this coming weekend, after everyone has played 26 games:
* Brighton’s looks very similar, in fact, we have 9 common opponents in the last 12 games. They have Sheffield United, Arsenal and Norwich while we have Chelsea, Spurs and Everton. If you believe that we have more talent, we should be able to pass them.
* Watford also very similar. Again 9 common opponents. They then have Arsenal, West Ham and Norwich, while we have Spurs, Everton and Wolves. So yes, a little softer but we have a small head start.
* Aston Villa – more of the same. 9 common opponents. They then have Sheffield United, West Ham and Arsenal, we have Man City, Spurs and Burnley.
* West Ham has the softest run in, although they now have to slot in the postponed Manchester City game. They will rely on their final four matches – Norwich, Watford, Manchester United and Aston Villa, to go into catch up mode. Three six-pointers that could go either way.
* Norwich seems too far back to make a meaningful move but could be very helpful to us when they play Brighton, Watford and West Ham. And if they do make a run, it will come on the backs of those three.
And, who knows, some team in that 10th -14th range might drop down to join the party.
I agree that we need more good performances starting at Burnley, and the scoreboard watching will be addictive. But, if we are at full strength, including a back-fit David Brooks, on 9th May needing wins against Southampton (H) and Everton (A) to stay up, that’s not so impossible, is it? I’d take my chances.
We are still well in it.
Keep hearing what a terrible run in we have…. still got to the top nine sides etc…… actually this is why I think we’ll stay up!…… I’d be more worried if we had to play the bottom nine to be honest. – Join the conversation, click here.