Date: 22nd February 2007 at 12:38pm
Written by:

A goalless draw in 90 minutes meant that Bournemouth played extra time for the third cup match in a row but this one went one step further to produce drama beyond all expectations.

As in recent weeks it was a first half that saw the Cherries dominate but without return and it was obvious that something special would be needed to break the deadlock. In a second half that saw Havant holding on, Bournemouth produced some scintillating play through Morgan, Langrish and Roe and it was a smart move down the right that ended with Roe in front of goal but she got her bearings wrong and headed the ball into the arms of keeper, Jennings.

Alison Goater and Janie Morgan were replaced by the sprightly Kelly Merry and Natalie Batchelor and with another flourish it was Merry who raced onto a perfectly weighted ball down the left flank to provide a pin-point cross for Langrish but her header narrowly missed the near post to let the ‘Hawks` off the hook. Kerry Isom had to stay alert in the Bournemouth goal as Havant always looked menacing on the break. However, Isom`s best was yet to come.

Bournemouth stepped up the pace into extra time and with H & W looking weary the game should have been put to bed by Batchelor, Rowswell, and Langrish but all went begging and penalties loomed.

AFCB Ladies 0-0 Havant & Waterlooville (AET)

At the end of the first five penalties it was all square with the teams having missed one each but it was the sudden death section which created Bournemouth`s hero of the day.
And, as if to add comedy to the tension, Havant`s players thought they`d won the shoot out in sudden death but forgot that they had to convert their spot kick which was eventually saved by Isom. They mobbed their keeper only to be told to return to the centre circle by match referee, Richard Drake.

Recently promoted from Reserve to 1st team, Keeper, Kerry Isom produced two brilliant penalty saves to keep Bournemouth`s hopes alive and when the eleventh penalty from Havant smashed against the upright it was the Cherries who finally came out on top. Kelly Merry stepped up to slot her second successful penalty into the left hand corner and the victory was completed when Isom saved at full length to spark a pitch invasion by all of the Bournemouth supporters who mobbed their heroic keeper.

Final Score after extra time and penalties; AFCB Ladies 8-7 Havant & Waterlooville.