Date: 17th May 2016 at 7:43am
Written by:

AFC Bournemouth captain Tommy Elphick believes the players may struggle to be ready for the return to Old Trafford following Sunday’s bomb scare at Manchester United.

The Cherries had their final Premier League game of the campaign abandoned shortly after 3pm following the discovery of a suspect package at Old Trafford.

The device was later examined by the bomb squad after they carried out a controlled explosion at the stadium.

It was later reported that not only was the device ‘not viable’, but it was actually a training device left behind following a training exercise held at the stadium earlier in the week.

With the Premier League season supposedly over and with Manchester United preparing for the FA Cup final this weekend, the game was rescheduled for this (Tuesday) evening.

The hastily rearranged fixture has been a logistical nightmare for AFC Bournemouth.

For the supporters, Manchester United have stated that each supporter will receive a refund on their match ticket and will be able to re-enter Old Trafford this evening for free with their original ticket stub.

AFC Bournemouth have supplied eight coaches offering free travel to supporters who were lucky enough to get themselves booked on before all spaces were full.

All supporters unable to make the return trip are currently out of pocket for their travel expenses.

For the players, their end of season debrief meetings will have to be reorganised, their holidays rearranged and with work already begun on the AFC Bournemouth training pitches there has also been an issue with preparation ahead of the game.

Elphick told the Daily Echo

“Even though we didn`t kick a ball, I felt like I had played 90 minutes, You go through all the emotions when something like that happens.

“I went through my pre-match routine thinking I was going to play and then it didn`t happen. At first, we thought there was only going to be a delay before we found out the game wasn`t going to start at all. When you hear what`s happened, you start to worry for your family and friends and everybody in the stadium.

“It is going to be a massive ask for us to go through it all again but the manager has been brilliant with us. He has left us to our own devices to make sure we are ready.

“Our training pitches have been dug up so we have been limited facility-wise. Most of the lads came in to do a bit of work and others did theirs away from the ground…’




Your Say…

Silent AFCB said…

3000 of us there, how many will make it Tuesday? Three of us here not sure what to do after driving 9 hours for a couple of pints.

For the record, I think they handled the situation perfectly and wouldn’t expect any other outcome. One idiot has ruined the day for 70,000 people.
Join the conversation here.

It’s easy to join AFCB Vital

With Vital Bournemouth you can win prizes just by having your say on the articles, polls and forums, click the link to register.

Join The Vital Debate





AFCB Vital – Sponsors of AFCB Supporters Coaches & Cherry Bear




 
Click for the forum