Written by kirsikka
– This is how these cup ties are meant to look when we’re the higher league team. Forget the horror shows that have gone in previous years and more like this, please.
– Credit to Oldham, I thought they did alright before the constant work rate on the pitch from the Cherries started to leave them ragged. Also, thanks to Harry Kewell for two comedy moments by the mic.
– Kilkenny looks to me like a player in desperate need of first-team matches. With the best will in the world, he isn’t going to get them here so we really should be trying to find him a loan move. However, I guess that now depends what the news is on Ofoborh, and possibly Gosling.
– Is Zemura the answer to the Left Back conundrum? Well, he still left us guessing after today. He was decent in patches and certainly got forward. I think the risk is it’s still too early for him.
– Tactical fluidity from Jason Tindall that pinned them back. Credit where it’s due, well called that man.
Man of the match against Oldham
— Player Ratings —
Dennis – 6
One good save one rush of blood to the head. Some harum-scarum passing but at his tender age, I guess confidence is good.
Stacey (off on 67) – 7
Up and down the pitch like a yo-yo.
Carter-Vickers – 7
He’s a unit but looked relatively mobile with it. Good to see him in action finally.
Simpson – 6
Lost his man for the penalty but fairly secure aside.
Zemura (off on 79) – 6
Got forward well at times.
Billing (off on 79) – 7
When he drove at them they looked terrified. Also provided a needed physical presence at times.
Kilkenny – 6
Recovered from a shaky first 45 to have a calmer second period.
Gosling (off on 45) – 6
An odd choice for the half time substitution given his lack of recent minutes and that he was captain for the day. Injured?
Brooks (off on 67) – 8 and Man of the Match
When he got on the ball he was in a different class to everyone else.
King – 7
Anonymous first 45 but got involved in the second to notch twice (probably). Won’t like this but was significantly more dangerous when pushed out wide to accommodate Surridge.
Riquelme – 6
Looked terrified of the match’s physicality in the first half but then composed on the ball with an eye for a defence-splitting pass in the second.
— Subs —
Rico (on from 45) – 7
Excellent work from him getting forward helped to decisively tip the balance of play.
Smith (on from 67) – 7
Against tired legs for sure but was an absolute menace from the moment he got on the pitch.
Anthony (on from 67) – 7
I do quite like the cut of his jib. Has a knack for getting involved in helping dangerous situations develop. We might have a real find here.
Lerma (on from 79) and Surridge (on from 79) – 6
The game was all but played out in a competitive sense with Oldham not far from a lifeless corpse when they came on so unfair to judge much either way.
Overall Grade: B+
They did the job and it was relatively comfortable. Good to see Stacey back and King make a contribution in the second half. Kudos to JT for the half time change and also swapping out the right side as both tilted the balance even further towards us.
Onto Tuesday and the start of five league matches in seventeen days from which we need a healthy haul of points.