Am hearing @afcbournemouth have made a £10m bid for Brentford’s Wales defender Chris Mepham.
— Simon Stone (@sistoney67) June 15, 2018
AFC Bournemouth have reportedly had a £10million bid for Brentford defender Chris Mepham.
The Wales International has been a long-term target for Cherries manager Eddie Howe, having previously been linked with a move during the January transfer window.
At that time, it was believed Brentford had rejected a £5.5million offer, prior to the window closing for the second half of the 2017/18 campaign.
AFC Bournemouth’s interest was then confirmed when Mepham spoke of the interest and transfer bid in an interview with the Guardian newspaper in March.
“I still can’t believe that sort of money was put on the table, I remember the day before deadline day I was having an afternoon nap and my dad came upstairs and with a smile on his face said: ‘Your agent is on the phone.’ When he told me what Bournemouth had offered, I couldn’t believe it. I’d only made eight league starts. It was so surreal…”
Since January, the 6ft 3″ 20-year-old has become a regular in Brentford’s Championship side, scored his first goal and won his first international cap for Wales.
AFC Bournemouth have made a second approach, with a reported £10million offer rejected.
According to Sky Sports the “the improved offer still not understood to be close to the Bees’ valuation of the player.”
Will Howe make a third approach?
At British based youngster certainly sounds like he’s in the mould of genuine Howe target.