Date: 22nd July 2010 at 8:21am
Written by:

AFC Bournemouth hosted Derby County on Wednesday night in what promised to be a typical pre-season friendly.

A little over a thousand supporters turned up to Dean Court, including a few hundred Derby supporters who were in good voice.

The Cherries lined up in a 4-4-1-1 formation with Jalal in goal, a back four of Bradbury, Cooper, Garry and new permanent signing Rhoys Wiggins. McQuoid, Partington, Bartley, Hollands, played across midfield with Marc Pugh in the hole behind Brett Pitman.

Championship side Derby County opened the scoring through a superb free-kick by Kris Commons after 10 minutes. The ball was simply placed into the top corner, leaving Shwan Jalal little chance.

After 20 minutes Eddie Howe made his first change of the evening with Joe Partington replaced by Harry Arter (Within seconds Arter picked up a yellow card for a tackle on Rob Hulse).

On 40 minutes Derby doubled their lead. Paul Green’s shot took a slight deflection from Shaun Cooper which was just enough to loop the ball over the diving Jalal.

With the Cherries closest effort clattering off the crossbar from Marc Pugh, Derby looked like they would go in at half time with a two goal lead, but after good skill from Arter, Moxey fouled and the referee awarded a penalty. Brett Pitman confidently stepping up to send Bywater the wrong way.

At half time Eddie Howe made four changes. Bartley, Garry, McQuoid and Wiggins came off, with Purches, Feeney, Cummings and Nelson coming on.

The Cherries started the second half the better side, putting Derby onto the back foot.

Liam Feeney, Marc Pugh and Lee Bradbury all had great chances to bring the scores level, but the trio failed to find the target. (It was an extremely tight angle for Bradbury though!)

On 70 minutes and against the run of play, Bailey made the score 3-1 to the visitors.

With the typical multiple changes by both managers, the game threatened to lose its rhythm. Bradbury was replaced by Danny Ings, Pitman replaced by Jayden Stockley and Shwan Jalal replaced by Dan Thomas.

With five minutes to go, Jayden Stockley had two chances in the space of a few seconds. The first a long ball into the box was met with a diving header, which at full stretch he couldn’t direct towards goal. The second chance however was a superb header, which Derby’s replacement ‘keeper could only get his body behind. Harry Arter did well to follow in and he stabbed the ball into the back of the net to make it 2-3.

Stockley then had another chance to find the net, but desperate defending from Derby saw the strike blocked.

In stoppage time the Cherries were awarded a free-kick around 25 yards from goal. Bournemouth worked the ball across the box, with Danny Hollands laying the ball off for Warren Cummings to unleash a left footed strike straight into the top corner.

A goal brought the game to an end with the referee blowing the final whistle on an entertaining 3-3 draw.

Home Friendly

Wednesday 28th July 2010, 7.45pm – Portsmouth

Tickets can be purchased via the AFC Bournemouth Ticket Office, in person 9am-5pm Monday to Friday or via the telephone on 01202 726338 and between 10am-4pm on Saturday’s (9am to 1pm on matchdays) either in person or via the telephone on 01202 726357. or online via AFCB Direct.

RednBlack Shack

Don’t forget to keep checking the RednBlack Shack for great online deals and help to raise money for the AFC Bournemouth Youth Team.

It’s easy to join Vital Bournemouth

Simply register with Vital Bournemouth and enjoy getting involved! (you can even win prizes just by having your say on the articles, polls and forums.)