Date: 9th May 2017 at 5:54pm
Written by:

AFC Bournemouth midfielder Harry Arter has apologised to Stoke City midfielder Joe Allen for his tackle during the sides 2-2 draw at Dean Court.

Arter went in for a full blooded challenge with the Welsh international and won the ball, one footed. But it was the force behind the challenge and the fact that Arter had left the ground which angered some media pundits.

Despite referee Paul Tierney deeming the challenge as only a bookable offence, BBC Match of the Day summarisers Kevin Kilbane and Danny Murphy called the tackle both ‘horrendous’ and a ‘leg-breaker’.

Arter told the Daily Echo

‘At the time I thought I got the ball. But I have seen it again and it looked worse than I thought it was.

‘My only intention was to win the ball. In real time, hand on heart, I didn`t think it would be a free-kick.

‘I have never committed a tackle like that – that is not the sort of player I am. I have never gone in for a tackle and hurt anybody. And I would never hope to do that. I apologised quite a few times to Joe – straight afterwards and at half-time…’

AFC Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe added…

‘…From what I saw, I thought he got the ball cleanly. I think five or 10 years ago it would have been seen as a magnificent tackle. Now, I think tackles like that are viewed slightly differently but I thought the referee made the right decision.”

Your Say…

redskins wrote…

Arter has a reputation for being a hard tackler, he wants to be careful and make sure that reputation stays and doesn’t morph into dirty player.
The pundits will look at this and say red card / he was a lucky boy , unprofessional etc.

The way he plays is always a bit of a tight rope walk but I love his attitude and passion on the pitch.
Join the conversation here.

It’s easy to join AFCB Vital

Sign up and have your say on the articles, polls and forums, just click the link to register.

Join The Vital Debate

AFCB Vital – Sponsors of AFCB Supporters Coaches & Cherry Bear

Click for the forum